Élévaction blog

Are There Grants for Improving My Home’s Accessibility?

Maison adaptée pour personne à mobilité réduite.

Adapting your home for better accessibility can be a tedious and costly project.

Thankfully, in Canada, there are several financial aid programs, grants and tax credits that help bear the financial burden. Here is a detailed list of the available programs.

Residential Adaptation Program (PAD)

This is a program that is available to any homeowner looking to adapt their accessibility for a resident with a handicap. These improvements allow a resident with limited mobility to enter and exit their home, access vital areas of the house – bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, dining room, and living room – and to accomplish daily activities safely and with ease.


In order to qualify for the Residential Adaptation Program, the disabled resident must:

  • Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • Provide ample proof that their handicap is significant and persistent
  • Not be eligible for financial aid from the SAAQ, CNESST, IVAC, any other private or public insurance company, or Veterans Affairs Canada

Professional Installation

In hiring a professional, you will have access to specialized equipment and a higher safety and satisfaction level.

An ergo therapist will evaluate your accessibility needs, and the plans will be certified by a credited inspector from the SHQ.

Nature of the Work

Once you’ve selected a professional, you have access to several installations. These installations should be permanent and provide a simple, functional and secure solution at a lower cost.

  • Access and exit the home: access ramp, enlarge and replace the entry door, etc.
  • Access to essential areas in the home and space to maneuver around fixed items: enlarging doorway, etc.
  • Modifications to the bathroom: shower, stability bars, change table, fixed ceiling lift, etc.
  • Modifications to the kitchen: sink accessibility, etc.
  • Modifications to the bedroom: change table, rail lift, etc.

Admissible Specialized Equipment

With a professional on your team, all specialized equipment qualifies, including:

  • Access Ramp
  • Elevator Platform
  • Rail Lift
  • Electric Door Opener
  • Chair Lift

Financial Aid

Financial support is between $16 000 and $33 000 and depends on the disabled resident’s income and the degree of necessity.

Independent Work

This option is for those without professional help. Options are listed by the SHQ, and the amount of financial aid is limited. The work must be done by a licensed RBQ worker but isn’t registered by RENA (Registre des entreprises non admissible aux contrats publics).

Nature of Work

The work that is admissible without a professional is:

  • Entry and exit access: access ramp, enlargement or replacement of entry door, etc.
  • Access to essential areas: door enlargement, etc.
  • Bathroom modifications: shower, stability bars, etc.
  • Other work: lowering plugs and switches, making sinks accessible, modifying counters or closets, etc.

Special Equipment

Only the access ramp qualifies without a professional.

Financial Aid

Maximum of $8000.

Retroactive Financial Aid

This option is applicable within 12 months of completing the work. A list of admissible work is stipulated by the SHQ and sent once the homeowner has applied. The amount granted is less than the other options. The work must be done by RBQ licenced worker that is not registered with RENA.

Nature of Work

The work admissible for retroactive financial aid:

  • Entry and exit access: access ramp, enlargement or replacement of entry door, etc.
  • Access to essential areas: door enlargement, etc.
  • Bathroom modifications: shower, stability bars, etc.
  • Other work: lowering plugs and switches, making sinks accessible, modifying counters or closets, etc.

Special Equipment

Only the access ramp qualifies without a professional.

Financial Aid

The maximum amount you can receive is $4000; precisely 50% of the costs incurred up to $4000.

Regardless of which option you choose, register with PAD using the Program Registration Form, available at your local CLSC or SHQ (Société habitation du Québec).

Tax Credit for Handicap Home

Revenu Québec provides a tax credit of up to $750 if you have a home that qualifies and would be the principal residence for someone with reduced mobility.

The disabled person in question can be you or someone related to you through marriage, adoption or bloodlines. An uncle, aunt, nephew or niece would not be linked to you. Someone considered linked to you would be:

  • Your spouse
  • Your child, grandchild, brother, sister or those of your spouse
  • The spouse of your brother or sister, or the spouse of your spouses’ brother or sister
  • Your father, mother or anyone else in your direct lineage, as well as the mother or father of your spouse

An admissible property must be in the province of Quebec and be one of the following:

  • A detached home, semi-detached home or townhouse
  • Pre-fab home
  • Mobile home
  • Condominium
  • Multiple residence apartment building

The residence must be improved to allow a disabled person to access the home more efficiently to help them accomplish daily tasks with ease or adapt the house to better suit their special needs.

Tax Credit for Residential Accessibility

Revenu Canada provides a tax credit for renovations made to a residence where a person with limited mobility can more easily access the dwelling or modifies it to allow the resident to have better and easier access to daily tasks, reducing the risk of injury.

The renovation is admissible if the work is a permanent fixture.

Individual Qualifications

You qualify for this tax credit if:

The person in question:

  • Qualifies for Quebec’s tax credit for the handicap
  • Will be 65 years old or more by the end of the calendar year

The applicant is:

  • The spouse of an approved applicant
  • The legal guardian for a dependent who is an approved applicant
  • An individual with power of attorney over the applicant’s files

Residence Qualifications

The residence qualifies for the tax credit if it fills the following criteria:

  • Is a permanent residence for the handicapped applicant year-round
  • Is owned by the handicapped applicant year-round

Expense Qualifications

Various expenses are acceptable, depending on the situation.

Work Completed by Professionals

Work carried out by a professional – plumber, electrician, architect, or carpenter – generally, qualify.

Work Completed by a Family Member

If a member of your family carries out the work and has a TPS/TVH number, the work is generally permissible.

Work Carried Out on Your Own

If you do the work yourself, the following things qualify:

  • Material
  • Fixed Accessories
  • Equipment Rentals
  • Plans
  • Permits

You can ask to submit a maximum amount of $10 000 per year for expenses related to improving the accessibility of your dwelling, and the necessary guidelines and submissions are met.

Other Programs and Grants for Residential Accessibility

There are many financial aid programs for handicapped individuals improving their homes’ accessibility. For example:

  • TVQ reimbursements from Revenue Quebec on purchase and installation of an automatic door-opener for residents who cannot otherwise access their home due to a physical disability
  • Grants for handicapped individuals (SPH)
  • Grants for Residence Accessibility (SAD)

The application forms for these two last grants are available on the website of the Société d’habitation Québec.

Accessibility for All

The programs help those suffering from limited mobility to absorb the cost associated with making their homes and daily routines safer and easier.

Élévaction is accredited by the SHQ (PAD), the SAAQ, the CNESST and the Veterans Affairs program and relates to all work, including installation, repair, and maintenance of mobility products.

Contact us for more information. Our team will be more than happy to guide you in the process of selecting and applying for these grants and tax credits.

Let’s work together for a fully accessible world.